Saturday, February 16, 2008

Views of Tokyo


(I'm having trouble figuring out how to put pictures where I want them, but want to write this while it's still fresh in my mind - so please excuse the jumble)

I'm not sure what I expected Tokyo to be like, but I was surprised at how 'western' it is. The Japanese language is spoken & and written everywhere, but the feel for the most part, is of the western world.

I took a camera simply to take holiday snaps. However I spotted a building in an area called Asakusa that caught my attention.

The black building is called La Flamme d'Or - The Golden Flame (it is also known less affectionately as The Golden Turd)- it is a restaurant. The golden building beside it is said to represent a glass of beer. I did some research & found that Philippe Starck, who designed La Flamme d'Or had also designed another monument in Odaiba, Tokyo Bay, it sounded rather interesting so I made a mad dash there before my plane trip home(see next post).