Friday, July 11, 2008

Continuing...

Just a quickie, which I'm assured can be most pleasurable, re my last post on pleasure.

I've kept my eyes open today for further hints & clues as to how to understand & use this guiding light. One thing today really stood out - that pleasure & time DO NOT MIX. Like matter & anti-matter, both cannot exist in the same space together - it's one or the other.

A while ago I read a book called 'The Metaphors We Live By'. There were some excellent insights as to how our perceptions & understanding are altered by metaphors - one of which is that 'Time is Money'. Funny really because are not both those 'inventions' the controlling force behind our savagely civilised world. I'm half inclined to view this as the 11th Commandment, so neatly packaged by the cunning use of the English language & so splendidly marketed via civilised society.

I was going to give you a few examples but really you'll be much better off to go to the site below & just scroll down to THE SYSTEMATICITTY OF METAPHORICAL CONCEPTS - don't be alarmed I don't know what it means either - just start a couple of paragraphs down from that & everything will be alright.
http://theliterarylink.com/metaphors.html

Well that's it really for now just wanted to pass on that idea - if something is a pleasure it cannot be timed, it takes as long as it takes. Time has grown to monstrous proportions while real pleasure has dwindled to a trickle of it's former self. I'm reminded of that wonderful phrase "the heart wants what the heart wants."

Time is the intruder here.