Monday, January 5, 2009

A quote for you


This quote popped into my lap yesterday.

I wrote an article a while ago called Serious Play - so I could not let this slip by without posting it.

Being female I might get slightly irked by the lack of female pronouns, but then I am reminded that the etymology of the word man is thus man (n.) O.E. man, mann "human being, person".

What's more I am reminded that the use of the word 'man' to distinguish the lovely male of the species is a newer addition - originally both sexes had their own designations - werman for man & wifman for woman "O.E. used wer and wif to distinguish the sexes, but wer began to disappear late 13c. and was replaced by man"

So with that little befriending & harmonising of the sexes, it is my great pleasure to introduce the following quote & hope that it may befriend you this year.

"Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play""

May you always have play in your life.